Monday, February 16, 2009

Wild about Birthday Cake!

My son Will turned 3 on Sunday the 15th, and even tho he continued to tell me that he wanted a Spiderman cake over and over and OVER! I went my own direction. He really doesn't know who Spiderman is, doesn't have any Spiderman stuff, has never seen Spiderman, I just didn't think Spiderman was quite right. And, well, I had this thought in my head of what I wanted to do for his cake, and I knew it was a little more "age appropriate"! Here is my creation...


I baked one white (well, really I baked two) cake and one chocolate cake, put them side by side, and frosted them. I used the Wilton gel coloring - as it doesn't thin down your frosting. Well, to get the green really green, I used almost the entire container of coloring! And lots and lots of stirring. Okay - I know you are wondering about the 2 white cakes...let me tell you. FOLLOW the DIRECTIONS that come on the box! It says to let your cake cool for 10 minutes prior to removing from the pan. Yeah - they mean that, and it's written there for a reason! If you go to flip your cake over before it's time - you end up with lots of smaller cakes with jagged edges. In other words - an unfrostable cake that can not be put back together, a lot of cus words, and a frantic call to your mother in law to see if she has an extra cake mix on hand. Until I come up with something to do with those cake parts, they are in the freezer, just awaiting their purpose. The next two cakes I baked were allowed to cool the appropriate amount of time, and flipped out of the pan without a cus word to be said!
Okay - onto my cake creation...my fences are pretzel sticks stuck together with frosting and allowed to dry until they are REALLY stuck. Again - patience is the key. They will fall apart if handled before they are ready. I stamped my animals, cut them out and they stood up in the frosting perfectly. I'm sure they saw what happened to that first cake, and thought they needed to be on their best behavior! I think they stood up well, partially because I had frosted the cake and let it set out overnight to let the frosting dry.











And here's the birthday boy - slightly embarassed by everyone singing to him. (Sorry I forgot to take the red-eye out.)


He really liked the alligators which he sometimes referred to as dragons. He wanted to make them swim in the pond. And sometimes he just wanted to make them fly and then land in the cake - and that is why there are several bushes in the cake - to cover up where the "dragons" had landed. He loved his cake, and never again mentioned a Spiderman cake. Maybe the alligator ate Spiderman???
Leave me a comment and tell me what you think. I will pick a random person on February 25th from the comments to receive a package of 10 Birthday Cards from me!




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this is a great way to think outside of the box!

Anonymous said...

Jenay this is awesome !!

Sarah Ogden said...

Great Cake :)
Make a triffle with the cake pieces..In a bowl layer the cake, pudding, cool whip, heath/choc. chips etc- and keep on layering. YUM

Cyndi G said...

Very cute Jen! Love the giraffes! Ever thought about going into the cake decorating business? :)

Kari said...

Cute cute cute! My daughter has a birthday in a couple of weeks- any ideas on combining stamps and Hannah Montana? I am all ears if so..... HA HA

Connie Carswell said...

What an awesome idea and use of the stamp set! Our son is 5 and we too struggle with trying to avoid Spriderman, Transformaers, etc. It's hard when all that is out there for boys that's not somewhat violent, is Cars. Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea!