Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dear ol' Dad....

.....now, pick your chin up off the floor!!!! Don't be so shocked. Yes, you are at the right blog. for real. Two posts in a weekend....I'm feeling like an over achiever!!! Granted, I'd like to be able to post daily, and it'll be easier as soon as lil' Aubrie gets settled into a schedule a bit - or I learn to edit my photos and type with one hand. Not so easy when you have to Ctrl, Alt, Shift, B!!!

So, now onto today's program.......

Totally Cool, er....Totally Tool? I saw the idea to take the measuring tape and turn it to become a 'd' on Splitcoast Stampers....why didn't my light click on and think of that??? Very clever - and I jumped on it and created a card. Now, I will admit, it took me a while to get the card just right. In fact, I inked up the 'dad' portion and colored it (on watercolor paper, with markers and a blender pen). Then, I assembled the background piece, and spritzed it with that new super fun Smooch Spritz - in Log Cabin. (You can't really see here, but it's got some great copper shimmer to it) I layed the 'dad' portion on top of the DSP....then I just stared at it. I had nothing....it was too boring, TOO simple. So, it sat on my table over night. And the next day, I looked at it some more. I turned it, and still nothing. Finally I decided to put a strip of paper ACROSS the card. Normally, I would have used a ribbon, and that would have been SO easy, but not on a Man Card.....I check out my scrap stash in Not Quite Navy - I had a really skinny strip of scrap - but it wasn't enough. I added a second, wider scrap - that was better. And I added yet another skinny strip. It was like eye candy now. Sometimes you just really have to fiddle with a card until you get it just right. This one just took a little bit longer than some....

In the end - I liked my results. I really wanted the outside to say "Best Dad Ever", but I couldn't get that to work out, so - not quite the norm for me:


I decorated the INSIDE of the card too! Guess what? I LOVE it....it sure makes the card just that much more fun! Besides, I always have these funny extra scraps - what a great way to use them up!

The inside was stamped with more tools, which were colored with watercolor crayons and a blender pen - go figure - my favorite way to color. The 'you're' and 'the' are from an OLD retired set - Amazing to Zany. It's a great set for little words. And the 'best' - well, I didn't stamp that at all. It's not stickers. It does use the new Rough Type set. So, how did I do it? MY DIGITAL STUDIO!!!! You know what's great about "stamping" in MDS? You can resize, you can print in several colors, you can make t say whatever you want without having so much trouble lining up the letters. While here, I punched them out, I could have lined them up and just cut out the word. I'll have some more ideas for using MDS tomorrow - that's right - more tomorrow! Please stand by....

Until tomorrow - I have a question for all of you - what is your biggest obstacle in stamping? Is it time, is it getting a clean image, or something else? Please leave me a comment and let me know what your stamping obstacles are. Of the comments I will choose one to receive some blog candy - deadline is Friday, May 21st.
That's it for today peeps - until next time (for real, tomorrow), go stamp something!

6 comments:

JulieG said...

LOVE THIS ONE!!! I am gonna have to cave and get this set! My biggest obstacle...besides time...is spatial design, what "looks" good in my brain just doesn't always work out on the paper...then ya gotta coordinate the colors...it's a challenge some days but others it just clicks!

Tami said...

I also love the card and think I'm gonna need that tool set (lots of the male types in my life). My biggest obstacle in stamping... well I have a few - 1)I spend too much time blog surfing and then don't have time to stamp. 2) I seem to have to clean up a mess before I can start stamping. (my own fault) 3) I then have to decide if I want to make some cards or do some scrapbooking. 4)It's also baseball season now and I'm never home except to do laundry or cook something or sleep. Blah, blah, blah, man do I sound like a whiner. Anyway, love the card, hope to copy it someday soon!

Janette McQueen said...

I love this card!!! Great "out of the box" use of the stamp. For me, I have the hardest time coming up with new ideas for cards. But, once I get one going, then more ideas flood in. It's just that very first one to get the ball rolling that is hard for me. I also have some trouble matching things together from all of the different brands/colors/patterns.

Lauren said...

Great card! I love the tool set it looks great. My biggest obstacle is repeating. Once I find a card I like I'll create it a few times with a few colors/changes and then I can't seem to get away from it!

Cyndi G said...

Cute card Jen. My biggest stamping obstacles would be layout and color combinations ... I feel like I waste a lot of time just trying to figure out what looks good together. And on another subject, I struggle with organizing my supplies ... spend a lot of time rearranging.

Dawn said...

I like this card! I have been looking at that stamp set, but couldn't think of enough uses to buy it...maybe I will have to get it now.
My obstacles are embellishing. I like very clean cards and scrapbook pages so I never want to overdo something, but that leaves me wondering what to do that will be just right.